6.S063 Engineering Interactive Technologies (fall 2017)
HW1: Laser-cut your own business card
Deadline: due Wednesday (September 13, 2017) at 1pm, upload here
- photo of your business card, upload here
- laser cut file for your business card, upload here
- bring your card to class on wednesday, September 13, 1pm
- post on piazza
- go to a TA office hour for building/coding oriented questions (tbd)
- go to an instructor office hour for logistical questions and grading (mondays, 4-5pm, 32-211)
- do not send us emails
Task:The title says it all. Laser cut your own business card, upload the deliverables to gradebook, and bring your card to class. Materials, design etc. is all up to you. We recommend using paper, cardboard, acrylic, or wood. Google for some inspiration.
Where can I laser cut?
- Cypress Engineering Design Studio (EDS)
- International Design Center (IDC)
- use Mobius App to find a makerspace on campus
- or try a local Fablab, let us know how it goes!
Where can I buy materials?
- Altec Plastics has all sorts of acrylic (15 min on the redline)
- paper / cardboard from the local craft store
- Chris Haynes in IDC has some wood panels you can use, ask him
Laser Cutter TutorialFor Universal Laser Systems (the blue machine in EDS and red machine in IDC).
You can also read the PLS_User_Guide.pdf.
|use your favorite drawing program (Illustrator, Open Draw, Inkscape, Visio, PPT)||use red lines with thickness of 0pt or 0.00001pt||go to document -> print and select the laser cutter|
|print your document to the laser cutter (nothing will be cut yet)||open the Universal Laser System Control Panel (UCP)||get your acrylic, wood, or paper ready|
|place it in the laser cutter||go to settings in UCP||go to material database|
|for acrylic, pick plastic -> cast acrylic -> acrylic||enter thickness||apply settings|
|in the manual control view, don't forget to turn the z-axis on||in the main view, select focus view (second button)||click somewhere to move the laser head to a free spot on your material sheet|
|select relocate (third button)||this should show little handles on your drawing||click 'to pointer' to move drawing to where the laser head is|
|did you turn on the filter? did you turn on the compressor? then press start||it cuts...||and you are done :).|